Bedtime Story - Where Is Godzilla Hiding?

Taken a little while ago. The Stagea is now sporting a substantial skirt to make it look lower. Looks cool for an estate!
The mind works in funny ways. When I walked to school, I used to walk past a particular house every day, which is clearly inhabited by a Nissan fan. Every day for literally as long as I can remember, there has been - no word of a lie - a black Nissan R32 GT-R sitting in exactly the same place on the driveway. There's also a Stagea and there used to be a Lightning Yellow R34 GT-T with Tommy Kaira aero bits on it, but that seems to have been replaced by a black R32 GTS-T on aftermarket wheels about 3 or 4 years ago. Oh, and a Mk.IV Golf "for her".

I've never seen the guy outside the house, so I've never talked to the owner, but every day for the last 5 or 6 years I've walked past that GT-R and it hasn't moved an inch, so because I'm a big fan of GT-Rs (Gran Turismo since I was 7 will do that :D), I've always admired it and often looked it over, occasionally imagining that in a few years I can turn up and buy it off him, as it's clearly not seeing any use. There's even some naturally-occurring green stuff of some sort coming down the bootlid now, and I'm pretty sure one of the tyres is flat, but I'm rambling.

The point is, over the years I've expected it to be there, and it always has been. I even pointed it out to my driving instructor when we went past it in a driving lesson (to which he replied "It's a bit old, isn't it?", perhaps thinking that as a 17-year-old, I'd want something new and shiny). Late this evening, when I was out walking, I went down the path that comes out where I stood to take this pic. As I approached the house, my walking pace halved, and I slowly ground to a halt with my mouth open a little bit, about 2/3rds of the way across the road from the house... the GT-R had gone. After all this time, it hadn't just moved an inch, it had vanished. The Stagea, Golf and GTS-T were all present, so had it been sold? In its place were some building materials and a skip, so maybe it had moved. I walked round (there's a second drive around the corner leading uphill to a garage, as you may be able to see in the pic) to see the Stagea and GTS-T, and the garage door was outlined by light, so for now I'm going to assume the GT-R has migrated indoors while building happens for shelter and... maybe a bit of renovation of its own?

The only reason this is in any way noteworthy is because of the effect it had on me. This is a car I've technically never had anything to do with, but its absence shocked and worried me, as if a friend had moved away without mentioning it, or some such like. I'm not sure why one can become attached to an object they don't own like that. I had half a mind to walk up the drive and peek in the gap in the garage door to look for it, but then I remembered that, again, I've never actually had anything to do with this house, and at night looking the way I do, it would've looked pretty suspicious to onlookers...

For now, I'm just going to assume the GT-R has a roof over its head while the driveway space is needed for guttering and stuff, but what if it is gone? What if someone else got there first? And again, why is it a big deal to me? I don't really know. Maybe I actually believe(d) I'd have it one day. Now that would be a story to tell...

For a more positive wistful bedtime story, read this one I wrote a year or so ago about a Ferrari in the middle of nowhere.

Comments